What is BYOD?
“Bring your own device (BYOD) refers to technology models where students bring a personally owned device to school for the purpose of learning. A personally owned device is any technology device brought into the school and owned by a student (or the student’s family), staff or guests” (Alberta Education, 2012)
Why is BYOD required?
- With the demise of funding of the DER program by the Australian Government, schools and systems are examining ways of continuing the 1:1 computer to student ratio.
- With BYOD there is evidence of improvements in standardised test results, particularly in literacy.
- Teachers will have the opportunity to deepen student learning and develop digital literacy, fluency and citizenship in students to prepare them for the high tech world in which they will live, learn and work.
- BYOD puts students in a position of power over their learning. Educational researchers argue that giving students the authority over their own learning is best: the teacher becomes a manager of learning, rather than a direct source of information.
Managed BYOD Program
Jamison High School is going ahead with the BYOD program. This initiative has the support of the P&C. It will enable students to bring a device they own and connect to the internet through the school’s wireless network. Students will be able to undertake research, carry out word processing and other applications in an efficient and creative manner.
Students who wish to use a device they already own for BYOD should check the following document to see if their device is suitable:
NOTE: A MOBILE PHONE IS NOT AN APPROVED DEVICE.
The ICT and BYOD Policy document will need to be sighted and acknowledged when completing the BYOD permission note. The policy contains procedures, expectations of students and technical details.
Education Discounts for Student Laptops:
HP BYOD program for Jamison High School
To order a Windows laptop parents can go to the JHS Order Portal at the link below to select one of the two devices.
Use ecoupon: jamhs5% to get an additional 5% discount. Offer valid till 31st December 2017.
Why should you choose an HP BYOD program for Jamison laptop?
1. The program offers you the choice of affordable devices ranging in size, specifications and price.
2. All the devices have been tested and approved to work within the school IT environment – classrooms and beyond.
3. Every HP notebook purchased through the HP BYOD website includes 3-year onsite warranty (except Stream) and, additionally, a 3-year onsite accidental damage warranty (optional).
4.FREE delivery Australia-wide and 14-day change of mind return policy.
5.Finance Option available to parents 0% Interest for 24 months when you spend on any BYOD purchase with 0% deposit.
To order an Apple laptop, parents can go to the JHS Order Portal at the link below.
FREE Software for Student Devices
G Suite (Google Apps for Education)
At Jamison High School we encourage students to use G Suite in all subjects. This is a collection of collaborative tools and apps that are completely free for NSW students. Students can access it via their Student Portal at school and at home. This suite includes:
- Google Docs
- Google Slides
- Google Sheets
- Google Sites
- Google Classroom
FREE ACCESS: Click here for a guide to using G Suite: Google Apps for students
Adobe Creative Cloud
Adobe Creative Cloud is completely free for NSW school students. Students can download a one-year subscription that can be renewed continually as long as they are a student of the NSW Department of Education. This includes:
Click here for more information about Adobe Creative Cloud: Adobe Creative Suite for Students
FREE DOWNLOAD: Students can download their free Adobe software from the following website: https://nsw-students.onthehub.com/WebStore/Welcome.aspx?JSEnabled=1/
Microsoft Office and Windows 10
All students of the NSW Department of Education are entitled to a free copy of Microsoft Office 2016. Both Mac and Windows versions are available. This includes:
FREE DOWNLOAD: Students can download free Microsoft and Windows software from the following website: https://nsw-students.onthehub.com/WebStore/Welcome.aspx?JSEnabled=1/
Connecting to the School Wifi
Below are a set of easy-to-follow guides to download FREE software for Windows, Mac and Chromebook devices.
- Windows guide: 2019 Windows 8 or 10 connection to detnsw
- Mac guide: 2019 Macbook connection to detnsw
- Chromebook guide: 2019 Chromebook connection to detnsw