The Extension Class at Jamison High School is designed for students who learn quickly, achieve at a high level and require a more challenging learning environment.
This program currently runs from Year 7 to 10 and aims to provide students with:
- a differentiated curriculum that enhances the diverse needs and abilities of students across all key learning areas
- enrichment and extension activities to deepen student knowledge, understanding and skills across all key learning areas
- participation in various additional school and university based programs and competitions such as Rich Tasks, University of NSW – ICAS Science, English and Mathematics competitions and much more!
Entry into the program starts in Year 7 and is by application. This process involves three phases:
- Completion of Application Forms (early Term 1):
- Student Nomination Form
- Parent / Guardian Nomination Form
- Teacher Nomination Form
- Portfolio development (to be brought to interview) containing the following:
- Year 5 Yearly Report
- Year 3 and 5 NAPLAN Results
- Certificates of achievement from academic competitions (eg. UNSW Competitions)
- Certificates / reports from extracurricular activities from outside of school (eg. Music, sport, art, dance, clubs, etc)
- Any other additional documentation to support the application
- Extension Class Coordinator / Student / Parent / Guardian Interview (late Term 1)
There are also opportunities for additional students to join this class at various stages throughout Years 7 – 10. All enquiries need to be referred to the Extension Class Coordinator (Mrs Freemantle – HT Science).